Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Taking Off"

Five o'clock came early considering I stayed up too late reading a great book, "Undaunted Courage". (I didn't need an alarm clock to wake up; the night desk clerk was playing his jam box so loud that I could hear him singing along to a familiar tune early.)

As I approached the lobby to find a cup of coffee, I recognized the song as one of the few rock songs a country man can appreciate. And although I knew "Sweet Home Alabama", I was confused by the version I was hearing and the person that had taken this sacred anthem and butchered it into a "rap" treatment.

"Sounds like "white trash" to me," I said to the unimpressed young man as he bounced his head to the rhythm and sized-up my bicycling outfit. "What happened to Lynard Skynard?"

"The dude was married to Pamela Anderson, man." he said sarcastically.
"It's Kid Rock. I actually know a chick that knows the dude. She said he lives here part-time and owns a sky-scraper..."

Feeling bad for insulting my host, I felt compelled to compliment his jewelry.
"Got a new earring in your lip?" I said, trying to make conversation.

"Sorry if I offended your music," I said as I poured my coffee.
"No worries, dude." he replied. "It's all good..."

It's all good here. I am about to leave and try to navigate the morning traffic on my bicycle, pulling a trailer. (Picture of rig to come a.s.a.p.) I have an original idea of getting my picture made at the "Entering Natchez Trace Parkway" sign.

Obviously off to a great start, I plan to officially begin my trip at the Loveless Cafe, if I can find it. Maybe I'll find a person to make conversation with there. (www.lovelesscafe.com)

From there, I should be on my way down the devil's backbone, the Natchez Trace Parkway.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck! Can't wait to hear more! And I don't like that song (All Summer Long) either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Godspeed, bro. Be safe.
    - Mike Gowens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the laugh this morning Uncle! Good luck and be safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather looks good all week - HAVE A GREAT RIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you were hard-core...you stayed in a motel last night? What's up with that?

    Hope you have a great ride today, regardless. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."----Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck. We'll be following you the whole way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judge Mozingo,
    I tried to call your cell, but you must be giving an impromptu Bluegrass concert for all the weary travelers resting tonight at your campground. I want to see your bike computer when you get back to verify your mileage - I can just picture you ambling down the "Devil's Backbone" with your bare feet hanging out the passenger window of an old '65 chevy driven by the buxom blonde daughter of the local sheriff. Both of you singing at the tops of your lungs to the Dixie Chicks - bike and trailer thrown carelessly in the back. (you're so transparent) Anyway, I am thinking about you, wishing I was there, and praying for a safe, fun journey...Chip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley sends the following message........See if that blonde will swing in to a drive thru....We are sll hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete