Wednesday, October 28, 2009

End of the Way








My final day began earlier by comparison; I was on the road by nine.
It was a day to truly enjoy. The terrain from Hinds County into Adams changes as the route gets into the loess bluffs, but it wasn't too difficult.
I stopped at Rocky Springs, one of the best spots on the Trace. It was there that I finished off the cake Brenda sent with me and took on water.
By noon I was in Port Gibson. U.S. Grant said that it was a town too beautiful to burn when he passed through in 1863, but he surely didn't come in on Highway 18 like I did. Let's just say that after passing Club Ole Skol, you just keep on going to Highway 61.
I located my trailer and gear at the Farmer's Co-op, where it had been left by a kind older gentleman that I flat-out waved down an hour into the ride earlier in the day. By then, I decided to leave it be and call Ashley to swing by there and pick it up on the way to Natchez to get me.
Now as you can imagine, that went over well.
"How would you like to add extra scenery and wildlife fun to your trip today?" I cautiously asked her, (to the amusement of the guys at the co-op).
Suffice it to say, she and I got right to the point and I left it there, hoping that it would be picked-up.
I decided to eat some soul food in Port Gibson and found Slo-Jo's, a ramshackle bldg. on 61 that featured a large lunch crowd outside.
I had the best smoked chicken wings, peas and cornbread ever put on a plate there.
I headed down 61/Church Street past the grand old churches and homes before getting back on the Trace around 1:30 p.m.
The last thirty-five or so miles were enjoyable. I stopped for the last time at Mount Locust, an inn on the Trace that features the oldest standing structure.
Later I came into Natchez and went down to the river and was thankful for the health and opportunity to live such an adventure.
I tried to talk the Natchez-Under-The-Hill Saloon owner into cranking up the karaoke machine so that I could sing "My Way" by Elvis, but he wouldn't have any part of it.
I settled for sitting for an hour on a bench by the big river, "ole miss", thinking back on the experience.
At last, I am going to turn down Lance Armstrong's offer to ride with his new team as a domestique in the coming year. I love Purvis and Lamar County too much and am ready to be back with my family and jobs.

Uva uvum vivendo varia fit...

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! Glad you had such a great, enjoyable, and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete