Friday, October 23, 2009

To be in Tupelo- "Priceless"







I have ridden a long piece and been unlucky with the weather. It was cold, windy and raining. I crossed the Tennessee River, passed through Alabama, and am in Elvis' hometown now. No sign of any outlaws.
I made it last night to Tishomingo State Park, but again, not by much. I have to thank Bennie and Julie Martin, RVers on their honeymooon. I met them at Merriweather Lewis campground yesterday morning after spending a few minutes getting to know one another, and flat out asked them if they would haul my gear on down to Tishomingo. They were going to visit the nearby Amish and said they'd be glad to. Thank the good Lord, is all I can say.
Anyway, the rain held off until I got my tent set up at Tishomingo. It is a great park, but soon it began to storm/rain. It was dry inside my Mountain Hardwear tent and rain fly on loan from a doctor friend. (It would have been jettisoned the first day had it not been a gift from his wife...) I finished off the best spaghetti/meat sauce and scrambled eggs I have ever eaten, cooked in the bag with my camp stove and hot water. (I recommend Mountain House brand foods...)
Today began with my spirits soaring, thinking that I had made 90m yesterday and had only to do 40m today. But have I mentioned the headwind? I averaged 11 mph today, if you can believe it.
Highlights of the day included the suspense of a pickup truck with a camo. back window and the logo of Bear Archery slowing down and passing me and screaming about my outfit, talking to myself much of the day, the solitude, and finding the abandoned cabins in the woods at the campground near Tupelo.
And guess what? Bennie and Julie had hauled all my gear down the trail to the place in the woods where the cabins are located.
It is a good day and I am having a meal at Vanelli's in town. I have to figure out how I am going to get rid of all this stuff in the morning, but for now... priceless.
To my supporters, thanks.
To my critics, get some exercise and try not to be so jealous.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to put up some pictures, it is nice to put an image to your words!! Sorry about the weather, hope it gets better and CAN'T WAIT to hear about your run in with the law :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try not to take that crack about getting exercise personally, lest I deem myself a critic. I'm sure you didn't mean it. We all get cranky when we're cold and wet.

    Hope the weather is clear now and it's smooth sailing the rest of the way home. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tony,

    I'm not jealous about biking in this weather, but I am jealous of the meal at Vanelli's. I hope yours was a good as ours when we were there in Sept for the marathon. It was great.

    Hopefully, the wind will be at your back from here on. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete